Toxic Ingestion Treatment
Each year, there are hundreds of thousands of documented incidents of pet poisoning and toxic ingestion in the United States, with many of the cases the result of something that your animal ate and ingested within your own home. Common foods such as chocolate, grapes, raisins, and onions can make certain animals very sick, and other household products like bleach, prescription medication, insecticides, cleaning chemicals, paint, vitamins, rat poison and bleach that your animals may get into can cause issues too.
At Midway Animal Hospital, we specialize in treating Largo, FL area animals suffering from toxic ingestion with the loving care and compassion that pet owners should expect from their veterinarians so they can return to full health as quickly as possible.
Signs of Toxic Ingestion With Your Pet
Other than watching your pet eat something that could be hazardous, there are several signs and symptoms you should be on the lookout for:
- Digestive issues
- Convulsions and/or tremors
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive drooling
- Organ failure
Toxic Ingestion and Your Pet: How to Act
If you know or suspect that your animal has eaten and digested something hazardous, there are several steps you should immediately take:
- Remove the food or substance from your pet's reach so they don't ingest any more of it. If you're unable to determine what your pet ingested, consider isolating the animal in a room or area for their own safety.
- Do not attempt to self-treat the issue. Instead, contact us at Midway Animal Clinic for immediate steps to take until we can see and treat your animal.
- If you know what your pet ate, bring the package or a sample with you to our office if it's safe for you to do so.
- Keep your animal calm and comfortable as you drive it to our office.
From here, we'll be able to gather the necessary information to best treat your pet. Many toxic ingestion cases can be treated with antidotes, while others may need more extensive treatments to ensure the pet's long-term health. After learning what your animal ingested and carrying out any subsequent appropriate diagnostic tests, we'll recommend the best treatment for your animal so they can return to full health as quickly as possible.
Midway Animal Hospital Your Go-To Veterinarian in Largo, FL
At Midway Animal Hospital, we get that your pet is a part of your family. It's why we've made it our mission of not just treating and caring for Largo, FL, pets, but also in educating pet owners like yourself on what you can do to keep your animal healthy year-round. Contact us at Midway Animal Hospital today for more information on how we keep your pets healthy.